Dinner in Under 30 Minutes
Steak Sandwich with Grilled Onions
- 1/4 cup(s) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup(s) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground pepper
- 1 (1 1/4-pound) beef flank steak
- 1 medium (8-ounce) red onion, cut into 4 thick slices
- 8 slice(s) sourdough bread, toasted on grill if you like
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bunch(es) arugula, tough stems discarded
- 1. In large self-sealing plastic bag, mix soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, thyme, and pepper. Add steak to marinade, turning to coat. Seal bag, pressing out excess air. Place bag on plate; let stand 15 minutes at room temperature or 1 hour in the refrigerator, turning over several times.
- 2. Meanwhile, for easier handling, insert 1 long metal skewer horizontally through onion slices; set aside. Prepare charcoal fire or preheat gas grill for covered direct grilling over medium heat.
- 3. Remove steak from marinade; pour marinade into 1-quart saucepan. Heat marinade over high heat to boiling; boil 2 minutes.
- 4. Place steak and onion slices on hot grill rack. Cover grill and cook steak and onion 12 to 15 minutes or until onions are browned and tender and meat is medium-rare, brushing both with marinade occasionally and turning both over once. Transfer steak to cutting board; separate onion into rings.
- 5. Thinly slice steak diagonally across the grain. Arrange onion rings and steak on 4 slices of bread; spoon any meat juices from board over onion and steak. Top with tomatoes, arugula, and remaining 4 slices of bread.
Honey-Orange Chicken Sesame Sauce
- 3/4 cup(s) fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup(s) orange blossom or clover honey
- 1 teaspoon(s) grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic
- 1 teaspoon(s) orange zest
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 4 (6 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) toasted sesame seeds
- 1. Combine juice, honey, ginger, garlic, zest, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add chicken; stir to coat. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot; add vegetable oil and swirl to coat. Lift chicken from marinade and let excess drip back into bowl. When oil is hot, add chicken and cook over medium heat 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- 3. Add reserved marinade to skillet and boil over medium-high heat, turning chicken once or twice, 3 to 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is reduced by half. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, cut into diagonal slices, and arrange on a platter. Stir sesame oil into thickened sauce and spoon it over chicken. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Easy Pantry Pasta
- 2 slice(s) country bread
- 6 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 3 tablespoon(s) chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped capers
- 1 large lemon , zested
- 3/4 pound(s) spaghetti or linguine
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup(s) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut the bread into 1/3-inch cubes. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil and spread in a single layer on a baking pan. Bake until golden — 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2. Fill a medium stockpot with water and bring to boil. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper, and salt, and cook until onion is golden brown. Remove skillet from heat and add the parsley, capers, and lemon zest.
- 3. Add about 2 tablespoons coarse salt to the boiling water, add the pasta, and cook until al dente — about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of the cooking water.
- 4. Slowly whisk the reserved pasta water into the egg yolks and remaining tablespoon of oil.
- 5. Add the egg mixture and spaghetti to the skillet. Toss to combine and cook over low heat until warmed through — 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with Parmigiano-Reggiano and the croutons and serve immediately.